Exchange and ASP Students: You have received your official welcome packet and are getting ready to prepare for your time at MSU. We thought it would be a good idea to provide a list of things you will want to take care of or keep in mind. We look forward to welcoming you on campus!
Now that you have received your welcome packet, here are a few things you want to do or start thinking about as you plan for your semester or year abroad:
- Send an email to (ASP Direct Enroll) or (Exchange Students) and confirm that you have received your acceptance packet.
- Obtain your visa stamp for your passport. Follow the instructions provided by your local United States consulate or embassy on how to make a visa appointment and pay the necessary fees.
Make your travel arrangements based on the appropriate arrival day mentioned in your welcome packet. Fill out and return the arrival form we mentioned in your acceptance packet and welcome email.
- Students must have the visa paperwork issued by MSU in hand before they can make the appointment for the visa interview!
Return all the required forms from your acceptance packet via email.
Check that you can access your MSU student account and MSU email.
- We can only plan on picking you up on the official arrival day if we know well in advance when you are arriving that day and where in East Lansing we will be picking you up.
Check your MSU email regularly. We and other MSU offices send emails every 2 weeks and sometimes everyday.
- To do this use the NetID and password provided in your acceptance packet.
Read everything we are sending you carefully!
Return your course selection form or work with the American Semester coordinator or Exchange coordinator to choose your courses and get enrolled.
- Make sure to check your spam/junk folder and adjust the setting for that folder as needed. Sometimes our e-mails are sorted into that folder at first.
If you wish to waive the insurance coverage through MSU, prepare the necessary documents needed for the waiver. This website offers more information.
Decide what to bring! And pack your bags!
- The course selection form is provided in your acceptance packet, but likely you also already submitted it with your application.
If your question is not answered here, contact us:
American Semester Program (Direct Enroll Students):