International Studies & Programs

Home > Resources > Frequently Asked Questions


Will someone pick me up from the airport?

If you arrive on one of the arrival days during the designated times, and submit your arrival form by the due date, we do offer pick-ups from the Lansing Capital Region International Airport, the East Lansing Michigan Flyer bus station and the East Lansing Amtrak train station. Please watch your MSU email for instructions regarding your arrival and required arrival form!

The Detroit airport is about 1.5 hours from campus, and we are unable to pick up students who arrive in Detroit. If your flight comes into Detroit, you should take the Michigan Flyer bus to East Lansing. If we are able to pick you up for an East Lansing location, we will take you to your residence hall and help you check in to your new East Lansing home!

How early can I arrive before my program begins?

Students on J-1 or F-1 visas, are able to enter the United States up to 30 day before the date listed on their Certificate of Eligibility (form DS-2019 or form I-20).

However, you will only be allowed to move into your MSU housing on the first day of your program listed in your Welcome Packet. It is not necessary to arrive in East Lansing prior to the first day of your program.

How long can I remain in the United States after the semester ends?

Students on J-1 visas, are allowed to stay in the United States up to 30 days after the end of the program listed on your for DS-2019.

Students on F-1 visas, are able to stay in the United States up to 60 days after the program end date listed on your form I-20.

If you would like to stay in the United States longer to participate in an internship related to your course of study, or you would like to stay at Michigan State for a semester longer than planned, contact your American Semester Program or Exchange Coordinator about receiving an extension.

I would like to visit Canada. What do I need to do?

Canada is very close to Michigan State University. If you would like to go to Canada, you should visit the Consulate General of Canada's website to determine if you will need a visa. STA offers some visa services for students, through the Visa Machine. If you do not need a visa, you should still check with MSU's Office for International Students and Scholars (OISS) to make sure you have the appropriate forms signed for reentry into the United States. If you have further questions, contact your American Semester adviser, and they will be happy to help.

I am leaving or traveling outside the United States, what do I need to do for my visa?

Students on student visas (J-1 or F-1) need to know that it is important to obtain travel signature from the Office for International Students and Scholars, located in room 105 in the International Center, before they depart the United States. This means that a signature will need to be added to your form DS-2019 (for J-1 students) or form I-20 (for F-1 students). STA offers some visa services for students, through the Visa Machine

If you are leaving the United States permanently, it is important you fill out your departure form before you leave. Prior to departure, you will be sent a link to this form by your American Semester advisers and the Office for International Students and Scholars.

Where can I travel while I am on the American Semester Program?

Students on the American Semester Program explore Michigan, surrounding states and often travel all across the United States. There is an easy four hour Amtrak train ride from East Lansing to Chicago. The Lansing airport is close to campus for longer trips throughout the country. Throughout the semester there will be several activities planned throughout the semester to give you easy access to attractions across the state of Michigan.

What can you do for fun on the weekends?

Spartans like to attend athletic events on weekends. There is football in the fall, basketball and hockey in the winter and baseball in the spring. Students can purchase season ticket packages or single tickets. All sporting events besides football, men's basketball, and hockey are free to MSU students.

MSU's Residence Hall Association, or RHA, offers free movies every weekend in Wells Hall through the Campus Center Cinemas. The University Activities Board, or UAB, also puts on many events throughout the week, including concerts, and other entertainment.

The Meridian Mall and Eastwood Towne Center are two popular malls that can be reached by CATA bus.

The theater department at MSU often has free or inexpensive performances. The Wharton Center on campus attracts touring Broadway shows, ballet, comedians, and many symphony orchestras. Students receive a great discount on tickets.

The City of Lansing is full of entertainment options. The websites Lansing City Pulse, Greater Lansing and The City of East Lansing will be very helpful to students when looking for local events and activities.

In addition, many students use the weekends to travel outside of Lansing. Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids are popular destinations in Michigan. In addition, Chicago is less than 5 hours away form East Lansing and can conveniently be reached by train or bus